Friday, July 3, 2015

And there we were, 2 years ago

I will never forget today, 2 years ago.  Weston was sick.  He had a weird cough.  We brought him back to CHOP and he was too sick to cath.  He had a cath, on this day, after a night in a pod.  As many of you can imagine, I should send apology letters to the babies in the pod with him.  He told us he was going to take care of them for the night.  Right before his cath, Dr. P (standing in, bravely,  for our main man, Dr. Hanna) called us over to the nurses station to tell us that Weston may not live through the procedure.  That really set the tone for the rest of the day.  I was hysterically crying constantly and walking around with a box of tissues.  Adam was a rockstar and was consoling me.  Weston told us that he wanted to be awake during the cath and we agreed to let him be awake unless he was in pain.  Hours passed.  Thai food arrived.  Right as Weston came back, Adam ran down to get the food.  Dr. Dori (God bless this man's heart) came and told me he would never cath Weston again because he was too sick.  We were heading to the conference room.  Meredith was taking Easton to the playroom.  Everyone looked like they had been crying.  BAD BAD BAD, I knew it was just bad.  Our conference room was filled with folks.  Dr. Peridon was honest and told us Weston was going to die without a transplant soon.  Heather tried to toss some words in.  I was busy hyperventilating and gagging.  I thought I was going to projectile vomit on this poor doctor.  Adam rubbed my back, Meredith kept saying my name, it was an out of body experience.  My mouth watered and I just kept choking.  Dr. Rossano was a rock star.  He asked what we wanted to do.  We decided we would continue with the transplant list but, we wanted to get Weston out of the hospital.  He talked about DNR's and all of the things encompassing that.  But, Weston wasn't going to have that, he was going to power through it and rock his transplant.  That kid gives me hope and strength everyday!

No comments:

Post a Comment