Monday, December 21, 2015

The things I remember

For so many years, since Easton was born, our holidays were meant to be perfection.  Ornaments, crafts, special outfits, the whole 100 percent.  The first year Weston was in the hospital, I seriously exhausted myself making the kids and him do an ornament per day.  The next year,  we were so lucky to be in Philly and he was at GOL with us.  What an amazing day.  We stayed in PJ's all day-all against the GOL House rules.  On December 1, 2013, I got the ABC Christmas movie calendar.  Weston was super sick.  It was my job to make this the best ever.  (Imagine having a giant rock on your shoulders).  We brought in decorations, and then, his tree got tossed over in a rush to replug in his oxygen.  Our poor nurse (he had no kids but was amazing), immediately swept up the glass as tears rolled from my eyes.  This was going to be the best Christmas ever, damn it!  That is right, come hell or high water, we were all going to have memories.  Then, came the call.  Weston went to surgery, the kids all got to see him after and see that he was doing well.  The littles were swept off by my amazing friend, Laura.  Come Christmas, Weston was reintubated.  He had no interest in Christmas and all of the kids presents were piled in the bathtub in his room.  Our sweet friends, the Terruso's took Easton and Santa surprised him with concert tickets.  Thank God for them and Laura.   It was that day, as Adam and I sat  wondering about all of the unknown, that I felt the spirit of Christmas.  I knew about God and was a firm believer but, what I had never had was the feeling of seeing strangers care for your child, give their time up with their own family to spend with someone more needy, move our elf "shelf" around and make sure that Weston's every need was met.  They were the people that small talked with me because I need to talk when I am nervous, they were the people who bounced Ellie as a baby when I was so sleep deprived, they were the people who kept me sane.  I loved their stories of restaurants and dating.   We shared funny stories and recipes.  That love, that love for others is really the "magic" of Christmas.  What they were able to give to me will never be able to explained.

While Weston will never celebrate another holiday with us, here on Earth.  I know his spirit is near.  Many Angel friends have gotten pregnant with their Rainbow babies, one of Weston's most beloved nurses finally got engaged to her long time bf, other loved nurses are traveling to amazing places and helping children, and so many people have sent us sentiments of love and how they feel Weston is close.  It is because of all of you that I feel a little better, a little closer, and a little more loving towards everyone this holiday season.  Adam and I hope you all have a most Blessed holiday.

No comments:

Post a Comment